I hope for this to be a useful resource for any Arminian needing good scriptural texts that display his or her view. It should be cautioned that proof texting is far too easy for anyone to do, and with any of these verses the context should be considered. Far too often, context is ignored and erroneous interpretations are formed. So, use these verses, but corroborate their contexts. We strove to carefully consider the contexts and, in our minds, these verses and explanations faithfully represent the author's intent, showing Arminianism to have strong Biblical support.
Also, if you see any verses that you think should be added, comment on the post and let me know.
Verses that show election is conditional:
- Matthew 11:28-30 - Salvation is an invite to those who will come.
- John 3:16
- John 4:42
- John 6:40
- John 6:51 - Must eat of the bread of life to receive benefit.
- Acts 13:39
- Romans 1:16-17
- Romans 5:1-2 - It is through faith that we are made a part of Christ.
- Romans 9:30
- Ephesians 1:13
- 1 Timothy 4:10 - Jesus died for all, but there is a specific subset that receives the benefits, namely those who believe.
- 1 Peter 1:1-2 - Election is according to God's foreknowing who shall believe.
Verses that show the atonement is available for all:
- Isaiah 53:6 - The iniquity of us all was put on Christ.
- Matthew 11:28-30 - Any who some to Christ are welcome.
- Matthew 18:14 - The Father does not wish that any should perish (anti predestined-reprobation).
- John 1:7 - Jesus intended for all, wants all to believe.
- John 1:29
- John 3:16-17
- John 6:33, 51
- John 12:32, 47
- Romans 3:23-24 - All have sinned and all have access to justification in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 5:6 - Christ died for the ungodly. Since all are ungodly, Christ died for all.
- Romans 5:15 - Since sin spread to all, Christ's atonement is meant for all.
- Romans 10:13 - Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
- 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 - All died, yet Christ died for all.
- 1 Timothy 2:3-6 - God desires all men to be saved, and gave Himself for all
- 1 Timothy 4:10
- Titus 2:11 - God's necessary grace that leads to repentance appears to all.
- Hebrews 2:9 - Jesus tasted death for everyone.
- Hebrews 10:10 - Christ offered once for all.
- 2 Peter 3:9
- 1 John 4:14
- 1 John 2:2 - Jesus is the propitiation, not just for believers, but for the whole world.
- John 4:42
- Revelation 22:17
Verses that show grace is resistible:
- Jeremiah 7:24
- Luke 7:30
- Acts 7:51 - Blatant resistance of the Holy Spirit. It is proper to infer that if they didn't resist, they would have been led to repentance.
- Romans 10:16 - Not all who hear will believe.
- 2 Corinthians 6:1 - One can receive God's grace, yet not appropriate it in their lives.
Verses that show we must remain in Christ to be secure:
- Romans 11:17-24
- 1 Corinthians 15:2
- Ephesians 5:3-7
- Colossians 1:21-23
- 2 Peter 1:10
- 2 Peter 2:20-22
- Hebrews 6:4-6
- Hebrews 10:26
- James 1:12; 5:19-20
Verses that show man has libertarian free will
- Free will offering verses
- Exodus 35:29; 36:3
- Leviticus 7:16; 22:18, 21, 23; 23:38
- Numbers 15:3; 29:39
- Deuteronomy 12:6, 17; 16:10
- 2 Chronicles 31:14; 35:8
- Ezra 1:4, 6; 3:5; 7:16; 8:28
- Psalm 119:108
- Ezekiel 46:12
- Amos 4:5
- Isaiah 1:19-20 - Can choose to be obedient or rebel.
- Ezekiel 33:11 - Have the ability to choose from different options.
- Luke 7:30 - Pharisees rejected what God wanted for them.
- John 7:17 - A person must want to do what God is giving them the grace to do. This verse shows that God allows things He doesn't want to happen.
- 1 Corinthians 7:37 - Power over own will--not necessitated--that's the definition of LFW.
- 1 Corinthians 10:13
Verses demonstrating God's prevenient grace
- Jeremiah 31:3
- John 16:7-11
- Romans 2:4 - It is God's grace that leads us to repentance.
- Romans 10:14-17 - One must hear God's word to come to faith.
- Titus 2:11 - God's grace leads to repentance.
Verses showing sin is not from God
- Jeremiah 7:24
- James 1:13-15
- 1 John 2:16