Friday, May 14, 2010

Pride--The Sneaky Sin

It's amazing. Today at work I was thinking about just this topic, and then Justin Taylor of The Gospel Coalition fame posted on it today (here). One of my most powerful temptations since becoming well-learned in apologetics is to use it to make myself look smart. I find it difficult to separate the desire to advance Jesus’ kingdom and the sin to advance myself. This is something that I definitely need to turn to Him for.

Pride goes before destruction,
 And a haughty spirit before a fall.
Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly,
 Than to divide the spoil with the proud.
Proverbs 16:18-19

5 comments:

The Seeking Disciple said...

Well said. Any true disciple of Jesus will have to guard against pride. We must be careful to always keep our eyes on Jesus and follow His perfect example.

Mike Felker said...

I definitely feel you on this one. A similar temptation on my part is to use my daily Bible reading as an opportunity to find apologetic ammunition rather than seeking out the heart of God and allowing His Word to transform my life.

drwayman said...

I'm the humblest guy you will ever meet. In fact, I'm the most humble guy in my church. I'm so humble, I'm proud of it ;-)

A.M. Mallett said...

This is such an easy mindset to fall into. Perhaps the best defense against it is to recognize often how little each of us really know. I've suffered from a degree of it all my life. My mom used to call me "bossy frog" when I was real little and it has been a standing joke with my wife who really does know twice as much as I.

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Jeffrey+Friedberg+%26+the+Bossy+Frog+Band:The+Bossy+Frog:28951976:m4414839

AJ said...

Definitely. I've noticed that when I write for prideful reasons, I'm never much obliged to write more. But if I remember the right reason's to write, witness and everything else, the fire doesn't seem to go.

Just got to keep things in the right perspective.